Artist's rendering of cross-section of planned new Library design.
The Scituate Town Library is in need of repairs, renovation and expansion to meet the needs of our growing community.
In October 2012, the Scituate Town Library received a $5 million provisional grant toward a new addition and complete renovation of the library. This is great news for our community!
The $12M estimated cost of the library building project will be financed from three channels:The Library Construction Grant of $5 million Town funding or up to $7M via a debt exclusion override Private fundraising campaign Town appropriation
The expanded family-friendly facility will be a modern, completely accessible, quiet, energy efficient, comfortable, easily maintained, well-lit, and inviting library designed to cater to the community’s library, informational, and meeting room needs for the future. Parking, including handicapped parking, will be sufficient for the busiest times, well-lighted, accessible by both vehicles and pedestrians. When the project is complete, we will have a 21st century resource of immeasurable value for our community as it grows.
The proposed plan will create a state-of-the-art Library that will offer access to an array of resources, both digital and print, as well as offering enormous benefits to the community through enhanced public meeting spaces, room for expanded programming for all ages, internet and WIFI access, and private study spaces.
In addition to the repair of all structural problems, features of the renovation and expansion include:
• Usable space will be expanded by 50%
• All spaces will be accessible and ADA-compliant
• The new building will be LEEDs-qualified
• Accessible and flexible meeting and multi-purpose rooms for community use that will accommodate groups from 10-150, including an after-hours accessible program room for large groups
• Expanded children’s and teen rooms with program and homework areas
• Dedicated book club space
• Fireplaced periodical nook
• Enhanced digital resources
• Outdoor reading porch
• Much-needed additional parking If you would like to help support this project, click the 'Donate' button below.